View topic - "Pictures speak louder than words".

"Pictures speak louder than words"
"A picture paints a thousand words"

...And similar quotes.

What do you think of the concept that these quotes present; that pictures make more of an impact than words do?

Do you think that this is always true? When is it true? When is it not?
Is it a valid generalization?
When, if ever, can words be as effective or more powerful than pictures?
Post by Reverie » Mon May 09, 2011 12:42 am

Last edited by Reverie on Mon May 09, 2011 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Theme 17: Monsters
With guest judge Moriiko!
30,000g+ in prizes.

Just stick to your raindrops on roses, hmm~?
Are we practicing for the verbal section of the MCAT?! Holy crap, those questions are almost identical to the ones presented on every MCAT test...

Pictures are quicker to digest, and can be interpreted in multiple ways but so can words... Tough call. Depending on your audience and goal, either could be appropriate.
Post by adenine » Mon May 09, 2011 1:54 am

My Art Gallery

"In the general public, ‘fact’ is very very important; in science, theories explain facts. So, theories trump facts and laws."
-Eugenie Scott
Pictures can portray emotions, situations, settings, and background far more concisely and often more accurately than words can. Especially in moments of action, pictures do not lie, pictures do not conceal the truth or sugar coat it, pictures describe exactly what happened.
Post by Xerxies » Mon May 09, 2011 2:12 am

My friends are the best.
Picture are very powerful tools for communication. Those quotes are very much true. Pictures can be used to tell stories, market products, spread lies, etc depending on what the desired effect is.
Post by Twilyte Fairae » Mon May 09, 2011 2:28 am

Ahh... Pathetic cuteness.
just search iraq photos on google and see for yourself.
this is my favorite:
marlboro man
Post by Hound of Leithkorias » Mon May 09, 2011 4:06 am

Fair warning, I talk about tattoos a lot.
I do tattoos, I get tattoos,I love tattoos.

^^^Done by me^^^
I think it depends on the words/images themselves rather than the fact that it's words or images.

For example, if someone drew a simple shape as an image, there's usually not much too it.
Versus a deep, thought-out poem speaking from the heart.

And vice-versa.
A detailed picture or photograph, without much editing, even, displaying something emotionally stirring.
Versus a simple sentence like, "Birds are cute."
Post by Captain Awesome » Wed May 11, 2011 2:12 am

Depends on the perspective. Sometimes, and image can impact an individual more than words ever could. On the other hand, others hear what's being said, but disregard the image if it doesn't quite convey the impact needed. I guess the real question here would be as to how the image itself is portrayed. One that is poorly depicted will hold little, if any, impact at all. While one that is more "detailed" in it's depiction will often attract more attention.

Then there's also the question of the content of said picture, and said statement. Does the topic cover social concerns? Or Personal? Will the content appeal to a mass audience, or just to a select few? But I guess I kinda brought myself in a circle. >.>
Post by Sephy » Wed May 11, 2011 4:06 pm
It's why I'm an artist.
Post by Cupfake » Thu May 12, 2011 10:33 pm

I operate under the general assumption that people are inherently good. That doesn't mean I like you.
I think the quotes are more teaching people to see that pictures and other stuff that need all your senses to appreciate or understand is more than just words as you only hear them, but you don't really HEAR and understand the words.
Post by Vixen. » Fri May 13, 2011 12:01 am

your resident fashion designer.
figure skater and computer programmer

Follow me on Twitter! @Flurryfox
Do you mean pictures as in what we see around us, or something actually put down on paper? o:
Post by Calcifer » Fri May 13, 2011 12:03 am

Current Quests: Disturbed, Orientalism x1, Chickadee x2, Bunnyroo x2, Creamy x2, Sunday x2, limited~ Rock-It Karin S-P

Got my V-Day set thanks to the lovely Epo! c:
-- :D

< - click.
Funds: 909g
[updated every 100g]

Calcifer;; I was referring more to pictures and words put down on paper; that is, products of human work, rather than what we observe, but the question can be interpreted pretty broadly.
Post by Reverie » Fri May 13, 2011 12:29 am
nice avvie Rev.
and what do you think about splatter art? that is a picture, but can it convey more feeling then words?
Post by Vixen. » Fri May 13, 2011 1:16 am

Thank you, Flurry, although I think I had another avatar on before this post. xD /not sure

Hmm, I think that art can convey more feeling than words in splatter art. There's that chaotic, passionate and... ...drowning? sensation that I get from splatter art.

It seems that people so far are confident in the power of pictures over words. o no..
Post by Reverie » Fri May 13, 2011 9:39 pm
Pictures clearly speak louder then words. Is it easier to feel the emotions of a story on a scene or seen it for yourself before your eyes? The true emotions and feelings shown. Whether it be joy, sadness, pain, love, or suffering. That's why actions speak louder then words, you can talk you're going to do something but showing you can or did is far more solid then words alone. The same general idea can be applied to pictures and words. Words can leave doubt but seeing it provides more proof then words alone. Such as illusions, most are fooled because they see it but you describe it, they don't fully believe it or not as close as if they saw it. So again, apply that to pictures once more.
Post by Ioron » Sun May 15, 2011 4:43 am
Sometimes things and ideas cannot be said in words, thus people express themselves in pictures.
Words...can be confusing, especially when one cannot read. Poems, for instance, are hard to analyze sometimes because of the many symbolisms and themes. A person can look at a picture and find many things.
Post by Dark Degree » Tue May 17, 2011 5:15 pm

"Courage is found in unlikely places."-- Gildor from The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien

Extremely busy. :/
26 Posts • Page 1 of 2